What is the Australia Subclass 485 Visa?
If you are an international student who recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution, the temporary graduate visa 485 subclass allows you to study, live and work for a short term basis for usually up to 18 months for a skilled related to a job that is included in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). If you have completed a Research, Master’s degree, or a Doctorate, you may be entitled to extend your stay.
The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allows you to remain temporarily in Australia. After the visa has been issued, the visa holder (and any family members listed on the application) may perform the following:
- Remain in Australia till your visa expires.
- Candidates are permitted to work and study without restriction.
- Travel across Australia (without restriction).
- Permits you to bring eligible family members to Australia as dependents.
There are two ways in which you might be eligible for a Subclass 485. These are called Graduate Work Stream and the Post-Study Work Stream. Let’s look at both to understand the eligibility better;
Consider that you are a recent graduate of an Australian university who wishes to work for approximately 18 months in Australia. In this situation, the Graduate Work Stream may be an ideal choice!
- Graduates with COVID-19 travel restrictions may now apply and be granted a Temporary Graduate visa outside of Australia; however, they must first possess or have previously had a valid Student visa.
- Employment in Australia is permissible if :
- You hold a credential that can be transferred to one of the mentioned skilled occupations.
- Your family is welcome to accompany you.
Stream of Postgraduate Work
This visa allows you to work and live temporarily in Australia after getting a degree from an Australian institution. Upon application, candidates can include family members on visa applications.
- Graduates subjected to COVID-19 travel restrictions can now apply and be granted a Temporary Graduate visa outside of Australia; they must hold or have held a valid Student visa.
- Employment in Australia is permissible.
- A recent bachelor’s degree is required.
- An authorized course by CRICOS.
What is the Checklist for the Australia Visa 485?
Before applying for a 485 visa, candidates must review their checklist to ensure appropriate submission. The following are the 485 visa conditions that students must complete to pursue a full-time degree in Australia based on their CRICOS registration:
- The Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485, which is available to everyone with a valid visa, may be applied for by individuals with a valid visa.
- A CRICOS-approved course must have been completed by the applicant.
- Candidates are required to complete a longer-than-two-year curriculum.
- Depending on occupational requirements and circumstances, the visa allows the holder to remain in Australia for between 18 months and four years.
- A passport-sized photograph, a passport biodata page, a birth certificate, and other documentation are required.
Who can Apply for a Temporary Graduate 485 Visa in Australia?
The following requirements must be met in order to apply for a temporary 485 visa for graduates.
- Be less than 50 years old
- Possess a valid visa.
- Possess a recent qualification from a CRICOS-approved course and meet the stream’s extra requirements.
Australia 485 Visa Eligibility Requirements
Graduate Temporary Subclass 485 Australia Visa analyzes one’s educational qualifications. It is an excellent method to make Australia your permanent home and is designed to keep Australian talent in the country.
The main eligibility conditions include the following:
- Must be between 18 and 50 years of age
- Student visa status during the preceding six months.
- Credentials of Australian education
- More than two years of studies in Australia are described.
- Relevant job experience
- Possess an appropriate credential for a skilled vocation on the list.
- Having submitted an application for a skills evaluation in one of the vocations on the list.
- All applicants must include proof of health insurance coverage with their applications.
- You need to provide evidence of your application when applying for an AFP.
- Include evidence of your English proficiency with your application.
What are the Required Documents for Australia’s Temporary Graduate 485 Visa?
Before submitting an application for a 485 Visa Australia, applicants must review their submission requirements to confirm they are complete. To study a full-time degree in Australia under CRICOS registration, students must meet the following 485 Visa criteria:
- The Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485, which is available to everyone with a valid visa, can be applied for by individuals who possess a valid visa.
- Successful completion of a CRICOS-approved course is required of the candidate.
- It is necessary to complete a program that is longer than two years.
- Depending on occupational criteria and restrictions, the visa allows the holder to remain in Australia for between 18 months and four years.
- As requested by the customs officer, the applicant must produce the necessary documents, such as a passport-sized photograph, a passport bio-data page, a birth certificate, etc.
Language Proficiency Requirements for Australia 485 Visa
For Graduate Visa 485, the student must complete the requirements and achieve the minimum score in one of the English language proficiency examinations specified below. To apply for a Subclass 485 Visa, you must meet the following requirements and be in the following status:
|Test for English
|Lowest overall Score
|Total overall score
|Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
How to Apply in Australia for a 485 Visa?
The time required to obtain a short-term 485 visa depends on several factors, including the course you select. Fees must be paid concurrently with the application; if they are not, the application will not be processed and the processing period for 485 dependent visas will increase. For the Graduate work-stream, the average processing time is 9 to 13 months, and for the post-study work-stream, it is 8 to 10 months. The processing times associated with this visa are as follows:
|485 Visa Processing Time According to Streams
|25% of applications processed in
|50% of applications processed in
|75% of applications processed in
|90% of applications processed in
|Graduate Work Stream
|Post-study Work Stream
How Long Does 485 Dependent Visa Australia Processing Take?
The processing time for a student-dependent visa is identical to that of a student visa. A 485 visa affects the processing time. Australia typically ranges from 17 to 24 months. This applies when a student and a family member simultaneously apply for admission.